Sunday, August 22, 2010

Wind in my hair, rain on my seat, sun and some cloud, bugs in my teeth.

Sunday August 22, 8:00 am. Start mileage 20566 km.
A slight nervous jitter has developed as I contemplate a foreboding dark sky at 6:30 am. A hearty breakfast with Glor, Dan and Nikki, a quick shower and a long good bye before squeezing in between my stowed luggage on my trusty GS. By 8:30 I have cleared US customs at the truck crossing in Blaine and started my journey heading down Interstate 5 toward Seattle. By the time I reach Everett the sky is darker than a bears butt in a rain forest and I pull into a rest stop to slip on my rain pants. The sky quickly opens up to shower me in a torrential downpour which lasts until I reach Bellevue. My gear does the job and I stay completely dry. Yipee!  A left turn onto Interstate 90 at Bellevue starts my eastward trek towards Chicago with cloud prevailing until I reach Ellensberg. With blue sky looming in the eastern horizon I am grinning from ear to ear at my good fortune. My grin is short lived however as fierce winds develop causing me to wander and lean the bike in different directions as the air swirls between the geography. I meet other bikers at fuel stops and coffee breaks and we share our frustrations with the wind while discussing our journeys and direction of travel. I notice that our conversations always end with "ride safe" which somehow instills a sense of care and confidence. By the time I reach Ritzville the wind has died and the throttle is twisted to speed the journey to Couer d' Alene Idaho, my first nights destination. By 5pm I have settled into my hotel after logging 680 kilometers.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Big Easy,
    All in all a good first leg of the journey in spite of the weather. Well done! I look forward to following you each day and seeing your photos. Headed over to your house Wed evening to see the Little Missus and check out your new digs. "Be Safe" Love A Little Easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrNzqc1ZMRo&feature=related

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jim
    A great start. Hope the electronics stayed as dry as you did.
    It looks like you're in for some comfortable conditions through the big sky, as you move from the Divide to wheat fields.
    Safe Journey
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you have not beefed up the suspension of that GS of yours watch out for all that diner food, you are probably close to the limit as is! Ride safe as I need you in good shape for January; there is a leach with your name on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kurt, I look forward to our journey down the Mekong River leaches and all. Remember though that the catfish are so large that they eat stray dogs. You need to learn to ride a motorcycle quickly as the plan is to ride back through Vietnam and I have no intention of towing you on a bicycle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't realize that this was happening so soon. I look forward to the next post and hope the weather treats you right. Happy travels.
    Cheers, Derek

    ReplyDelete