Monday, August 16, 2010

Beginnings

It's Glen Heggstad's fault. A true hero after a capture by a Columbian terrorist army Glen eventually was freed and continued on his planned adventure to the tip of South America and back on his motorcycle. But this wasn't enough for Glen and soon after his return to California still reeling from a first hand experience of human madness he needed to find out what was really out there and hopefully confirm a suspicion that humanity was not inherently evil. His recent book "One More Day Everywhere" details his 52,000 mile odyssey exclusively through developing nations across five continents. It is this book that finally gave me the insight and courage to begin my own journeys around the world by motorcycle. My beginning will be less exotic and humble as this first planned trip will be through sixteen states which will take me from Vancouver to Chicago and then retrace Route 66 to Santa Monica before returning up the California and Oregon coasts to Portland and finally Vancouver. I hope that this will be the beginning of many trips to follow which will ultimately lead me around the world to exotic lands and to meet fascinating people. During this first trip I will hook up with John Selander my good friend from Portland whom I met many years ago while travelling through Europe. I'll depart on August 22nd on my 2006 BMW 1200 GS and John will depart Portland on September 2 on his Harley Davidson Ultraglide. If all goes well we'll meet up somewhere in the southwest and ride on to California via old route 66 and then up the coastal roads to Portland. Our goal is to share our passion for riding and photography, to visit interesting places, to meet interesting people and explore a piece of American history.

6 comments:

  1. I am so proud of how you follow your dreams and live life to the fullest. I will be with you every step of the way....in spirit.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be following your adventures....Take good care of your self and keep us posted!! With as much details as posible....lots of pictures please!!!!
    Good Luck!!!
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim, that sounds like a great trip. I look forward to reading your stories!
    Will you be back in time for BoG on Sept 28?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bro-In-Law Rick says "Jim, if you give me a 3 month headstart on my V-Star 250, I should be able to catch up with you in California." Seriously though,when a person stops dreaming, he has stopped living. Dream on!Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're an inspiration Jim Laurence. Truly.

    ReplyDelete