Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Lone Star State

Tuesday August 31, 2010. Start kilometers25539. Finish kilometers 26059. Total today 520.

Tonight I stopped in Shamrock Texas just west of the Oklahoma State line. Texas, proud as it is to be the largest state in the contiguous 48, and prouder still of its heritage as a former independent republic, ranks next to last in the mileage it can claim along the path of route 66, second only to Kansas. The panhandle, the northernmost extension of the state, is but an eroded stump compared to what might have been. As history proves if the Texas Oklahoma border had been decidedly different, the westbound Route 66 traveller of today would have entered the great state of Texas at what is now Eric Oklahoma. Also what is little known is that, if some other political decisions had gone a bit differently, that same traveller would not be leaving Texas until he'd passed through what is now Albuquerque, New Mexico, and crossed over the Rio Grande, some 400 miles to the west. During Texas' early days of statehood (1845 -1849), it had laid claim to territory almost 50 percent larger than its current boundaries, including portions of present day Oklahoma, New Mexico, Kansas, Colorado and Wyoming. Since some of its territory was contested by other factions within the US, emotions ran high on the subject. At the same time the former republic of Texas had incurred significant debts in its struggle for independence. Texas therefore ceded about one third of its territory in exchange for $ 10,000,000. in an agreement known as the Compromise of 1850. Much of the territory given up in 1850 makes up the portion of present day New Mexico east of the Rio Grande. I sure hope I have these facts straight Jay.
Today's journey took me through the balance of western Oklahoma and at times off the beaten track as I did get lost more than once and ended up on abandoned sections of old route 66, often in low gear standing on the pegs. A five foot strip of old concrete badly broken up with loose gravel kept me on my toes literally as my bike rattled and rolled. I had to turn around several times. I promise not to drag you off on these trails with your Harley John. Frustrated with the never ending traffic lights through Tulsa and Oklahoma City, I cheated and entered the freeway system to get around these large urban centres. Remnants of old motels and gas stations still exist inter dispersed with the usual array of fast food joints and modern day strip retail outlets which made these portions uninspiring. Getting me into the countryside and the small towns and villages awakens my keen senses as to what once was. Let me meet the locals and I'm in a state of bliss. Tomorrow I'll travel through the Texas panhandle and into New Mexico. Stay tuned.

I don't think I can get my GS through this growth.  I knew I should have brought my chain Saw.
Shamrock Texas. Tomorrow I will explore this place before moving on as it is so interesting.
"66" is doted with old gas stations along its entire route.

Texas Oklahoma State Line.







2 comments:

  1. Miss you dad! bring me home a cowboy hat...preferably with an attractive cowboy attached. Love ya
    -Bug

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a hope sweetheart. The hat ok.
    Luv you buglet.

    ReplyDelete