Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I survived getting shot by Dick Cheney

Tuesday August 24, 2010.  Start kilometers 21857. Finish kilometers 22640. Total distance today 783km.

After a perfect day of riding through the remainder of Montana and all of Wyoming I arrived in Sturgis South Dakota where I decided to put up for the night. For those of you that don't know, Sturgis is famous for its Motorcycle Rally where tens of thousands of bikers gather annually during the first week of August to party and socialize. There appears to be a few hanger ons as I notice lots of Harleys still roaming the streets looking for action. I feel somewhat out of place on my BMW although everyone always waves and stops to chat during pit stops. I had an excellent day of riding in perfect weather and managed to survive the dangers of Wyoming as Dick Cheney did not appear to be hunting today. The greatest danger riding the open roads of Montana and Wyoming  other than Dick is deer and I was reminded yesterday by the Big Sky BMW folks to be vigilant as two motorcycles were expected to arrive for serious repairs after hitting wildlife. Tomorrow I will explore Sturgis before continuing on my journey.


I decided to take a chance and stop for a self portrait at the Montana/Wyoming state line. Fortunately Dick Cheney was not out hunting today.

4 comments:

  1. sounds like you're having fun..keep it up!
    Des

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jim
    Hope you didn't scare the HD 1%ers
    in Sturgis too badly.
    If I can believe the little orange
    man in Google map, you have some
    pretty flat riding ahead of you.
    Hope the weather holds for you.

    Don't know if you're going right into
    downtown Chicago, but if you do,(and
    don't already have a favourite) I
    heartily recommend the following for
    supper - also close to many hotels
    Italian Village
    71 W. Monroe
    Chicago, IL 60603-4910
    312.332.7005

    Safe Journey
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're having fun dad! Miss you.
    -Love bug

    ReplyDelete