Sunday, August 29, 2010

I can't find me because I don't know where I am.

Sunday August 29,2010. Start kilometers 24713. Finish kilometers 25095. Total today 382 km.

I'm somewhere near Springfield Missouri. Actually about an hour east. I think. OK so I'm lost. Not to worry I'll find my way. I hope.
 I had another awesome day particularly riding through the balance of Illinois. I had way too many photo stops and met way too many people that wanted to hear about my trip. But it was worth every minute. This is what I enjoy the most about travelling.

I decided to take in a movie. Hullo is anybody here?
There was a definite geography change once I crossed the mighty Mississippi into Missouri as the landscape changed from flat cornfields to lush green rolling hills and a few more twists in the road. I'm not clocking much mileage and will have to start to pace myself so that I can hook up with my buddy John in Albuquerque on Thursday. Most of 66 runs adjacent to I-44 in Missouri and was not as interesting as Illinois however tomorrow promises to bring better sites to see. Old portions of legitimate 66 are often found on both sides of a stretch of Interstate highway, having been severed by the straighter cut of modern building methods. Often the route crosses over and back generally at off ramps that have truck stops, fast food eateries and service centres. These crossovers can be tiresome due to heavy traffic entering and exiting and the frequent stop lights that impede travel time. So far this has been my biggest complaint with the Missouri road system. Also this portion of I-44 has not isolated old route 66 too much as there are many exits and service centers giving access to old portions of the highway. Tomorrow Kansas and Oklahoma.



I stop and visit Henry's Rabbit Ranch and Route 66 Emporium where they are always humping to please.
 
Business has been slow.

Parked cars at Henry's Rabbit Ranch.




No comments:

Post a Comment