Tuesday, September 7, 2010

End of the Road Beginning of the Dream.

Tuesday September 7, 2010. Start kilometers 28223. Finish kilometers 28469. Total today 246.

After traversing the Illinois prairie, the Missouri Ozark country, the tiny corner of Kansas, the Indian Territory of Oklahoma, the Panhandle of Texas, the old Spanish colony of New Mexico, and then the harsh landscape of Arizona, Route 66 finally arrives beyond the doorstep of California. California, the land of milk and honey; the land where dreams live, where fortunes are built and where the soul longs to be. Today I reach my goal and arrive in Santa Monica with cool  temperatures and under cloud covered sky. Our trip from Barstow took us just past Helendale where we visited the forest of "bottled trees" and met its owner Elmer Long another character who seemed bent on polishing weathered glass. We continued on to Pasadena and followed surface streets through Hollywood, Beverly Hills and then the Santa Monica pier at Pacific Palisades Park.
Route 66 journeys end. Tomorrow we begin our trek north to Portland where I'll spend a day visiting before continuing home riding solo for the last leg of the journey. To date I have clocked just short of 8000 kilometers since departing on August 22. I will post one more blog when I arrive home on Sunday. Stay tuned.


Elmer Long owner of the Bottle Ranch
End of the Trail
The Mother Road
John and I on the Santa Monica Pier

The Bottle Ranch




3 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you. I remember when we stood at the same spot and the birth of your dream emerged into a reality. I admire that. Congratulations! You are an inspiration to those who are blessed to know and love you.
    See you in Portland. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Jimmy.
    Be safe on the way home.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks For sharing this Superb article.I use this Article to show my assignment in college.it is useful For me Great Work. https://www.nox-emulator.com/very-best-brand-names-with-kids-bikes-discovering-a-new-fresh-bike-regarding-a-persons-kid/

    ReplyDelete